Wednesday, May 9, 2007

justice

"I don't have a minute to hate. I'm going to pursue justice for the rest of my life."
-Mamie Till


Mamie Till, in 1955, at the funeral for her son, spoke these prophetic and beautiful words to her fellow mourners and also to the unjust of the United States. She stood beside the open casket, where her son's head was five times its normal size, and spoke for true justice. Justice driven not through vendetta but by merciful grace and relentless concern for all man's well-being.

As I continue to change and grow, justice has, and probably always will stand at the forefront of what I am committed to and willing to sacrifice/restrain my own personal freedoms for. I hope that I can pursue justice in the same way that Mamie Till prophetically demanded herself to do. Look up the story of Mamie Till and her son Emmett. I won't post any links this time so you can find it yourself.

I deeply hope and soberly pray that we could all be so full of grace in our committments to justice and love. Life is a selfish and empty experience otherwise.

No comments: